I love watching the children in my class rush out the door at the end of the day. They remove their coat, chuck their bag at their parent and dash towards the playground as their parent asks, ‘how was school today?” Most say, “fine!’ And carry on running! They have lived school all day. They don’t want to relive it by answering their parents! However, as a parent, I also know how frustrating this can be or even upsetting; we just want to know what our children have been doing and if they have enjoyed themselves!
So, here are some things that you could ask your child at collection. Although perhaps taking to them after some downtime may be better!
- What did you learn today?
- What did you do that was fun today?
- Name one thing that made you laugh today?
- Did you help anyone today?
- Was anyone kind to you today?
- Did you learn any new words today?
- Did you hear any weird words today?
- Who was your friend today?
- What games did you play outside today?
- Did you read any books today?
- Have you been writing today -can you remember what you wrote about?
- Who is the funniest person in your class?