I have a love affair with peonies. They are my favourite flower. I know that they tease us with their buds, flower quickly and then die back but the glory of their flowers is so beautiful for me that I would happily wait all year for just one day of these beautiful blooms! This week my 6 on Saturday is dedicated to peonies. This meme was started over at The Propergator. It’s a way of noting six things in your garden, right now and is a fun meme to join in with.
1. Tree peony ludlowii
I took these photos yesterday and my yellow tree peony is looking gorgeous and the bees love them! The flowers are abundant this year.
2. Tree peony Delavayi
3. Herbaceous Peony Big Ben
4. Herbaceous peony, Reine Hortense
5. Herbaceous peony, Shirley temple.
6. Herbaceous peony gay paree
I hope you have enjoyed some of my peonies and don’t mind that they aren’t all in flower yet in the Old House garden.
Some helpful peony advice
- Be patient. Peonies take a while to mature and flower.
- Peonies like sunshine so consider this when planting.
- They don’t like being overwatered.
- Peonies love to be fed. I add manure in early spring and continue to feed regularly throughout the summer.
- Tree peonies are best pruned in Spring but this will sacrifice the flowers for that year.
- Don’t plant them too deep and plant in the Autumn so they can get comfy before Winter.
A blog about my life in The Old House, a mum to teenagers, a primary school teacher and my passion for gardening.