Month Two of the Old House Renovations has been crap if I’m honest! Literally! We’ve had drains issues and unexpected finds that have put the build back by weeks. In fact, it feels as if we haven’t moved forwards at all and I think you will feel the same when you see the photos! With my work beginning again for a new school year in just days, I feel slightly frazzled by it all but I know that it will get better soon….well that’s the hope!
The ‘T’ means Tank!
You may remember if you are a regular reader of my blog, that we have always wondered if this stone covered something. It has a ‘T’ carved in it but there was some discussion whether this was a cross. Well…….I think it’s a ‘T!’
As you can see, we found a tank! Well, it’s an overflow chamber or soak away for the well which is just out of the picture on the left. We had to get advice on this and obviously, we hadn’t expected to find it!
Once we had sorted that out, we also realised that the new drains needed to be planned carefully. We needed to be able to live in the house and sort out the connection of the new shower room to the main drains before taking down the current bathroom. This was so we always have a toilet and shower. A major drains puzzle! Access to the back of our house is tricky at best so large diggers were never an option.
The well is near the spade in this photo. We want to have this in our kitchen floor with a glass top on it.
Old House Problems
All old houses come with unseen problems and that is to be expected but you don’t want that to happen to you and your build! When the new drains were connected, we couldn’t work out why there was so much water still on site! This photo is from the back of the house showing the back door and the side extension (with the flat roof) which is being rebuilt. This side extension houses the present bathroom which will be replaced.
This is a photo of the connection to the bathroom. When the pipe was removed, we realised that it wasn’t actually connected at all! The water from every bath and shower had been happily draining into a cavity under the house for years and years! The stone has eroded away to create quite a large hole! Our lovely builders have connected this for now so that we can continue to shower until the upstairs shower room is completed and connected!
The window from the lounge looking into the garden or into the new kitchen looks like this! We have to keep it as it’s a listed building but it’s obviously not as old as we previously thought. It was probably built in the 1960’s made to look older. Look the base of it. It’s been propped up on paving slabs balanced on wood, which has now rotted away.
The new shower room is almost ready. Until that is connected to the mains drains, we can’t use it but I’m pleased with how it’s progressing. It will be a ‘wet’ room as the space is so small. I will do a bathroom reveal when it is finished!
The Month has been eventful to say the least but we are seeing progress now.
I shall update in a month!
A blog about the renovation of our old house and it’s garden in the English countryside. I also blog about interiors, general gardening tips and visits to glorious gardens.