This is Month five into the Old House renovations, well sort of! This is the fifth month with activity after lots of stops and starts and I now feel as if we are getting somewhere.
Everyone said that when renovating an old house, expect delays and expect to spend double what you had budgeted for. Well that is very true so far with this build! We moved into the Old House in Feb 2016 and spent just over a year getting a feel for the house before we had some designs made up from our architect. Planning on a Listed House (ours is Grade 2 listed) is notoriously slow so that took about a year to come through and wasn’t straight forward. Once the build started we had some major problems to overcome but we did and now here we are!
If you would like to read about how we got to this point here are the links:
The Bath Stone
The Georgians are famous for their lovely bath stone buildings and we wanted to match the stone for the new extension to the original stone. The stone masons cut each piece so that they fitted together like a jigsaw. The close joins were a requirement from the listed buildings people too so we had to get it right. They did a really great job don’t you think?
The Oak Frame
The company that we used are called Made in Oak with our lovely builders project managing everything. They came and measured up and went away and built the frame. They had to rejig the design slightly for us so that it would fit the space. The adjustments and cutting of all the oak took about 8 weeks in total. I love the colour of the oak already but over time it will soften to a silvery grey.
The Utility Room
The roof of the utility room has started to take shape. Two velux windows will be added to this space. We will also split this space into two rooms; the front space will be the utility room. We are not entirely sure what the other room will be at this point so we shall see! We’ve talked about having a pantry, an extra bedroom or even a cinema room!
The Roof goes on
The weekend after the oak frame went up and before the roof went on, Storm Sarah hit! The builders protected the building as much as possible and luckily everything was fine but I did get up in the night to check!
The following Monday, the builders returned and started to put the roof on. We are having a reclaimed slate tiled roof with velux windows to let in more light. The window and door company came in to measure up and these were ordered. The windows and doors will take about 6 weeks to come. The roofer came and finished the flat roof for the Utility Room.
Now I just to need to find the right kitchen to fit this space. I have been looking and there so many great ideas out there. I’ve just been a bit slow as kitchens take about 12 weeks to come so I need to get a move on!
I will try to write in a month or so when we have some more renovation news. Have a super Sunday!
A blog about the renovation of our old house and it’s garden in the English countryside. I also blog about interiors, general gardening tips and visits to glorious gardens.