Removing the Leylandii

We have been busy in the garden since moving in February. The garden hadn’t been touched for a while and some of the trees were too big for the garden. Others had been badly managed and were leaning into the neighbours gardens. This meant we couldn’t just prune them so some of them had to come out. The first to go was a huge Leylandii which was over 50 foot high and 20 foot across so it really blocked the view down the garden. It also made that part of the garden dark and gloomy. It was a huge job that we couldn’t do ourselves so we got a friend who happens to be Groundsman who could help us.

It came down slowly but it was actually fun to use the chipper! Definitely recommend gloves though! What a difference that made to the light in this first part of the garden!

We found an old statue in the garden.The stump was staying so we added a raised border to this area using old stone that we also found in the garden! Some of the dry stone wall had fallen down in the past so looked great. I really like to reuse things we find as its cheaper but also adds a bit of character. .It needed lots of digging over and we added lots of compost but I’m really pleased how this bed turned out.

We wanted to make the garden into a series of rooms so decided to make this front part centered around a lawned area. We added a large wooden arch so that it created a focal point. When you look out of the lovely Georgian bay window from the sitting room your eye is drawn down the garden and you want to see whats beyond!

During the summer I added lots of cottage perennials that loved this southerly facing place in the garden. It looked really stunning throughout summer and into Autumn.

Im so pleased we took out this Leylandii and I think the neighbours were too. Our cat wasn’t so happy though as she loved to climb it!

OH THE JOYS OF AN OLD HOUSE IN THE SHIRES.

Design